Appreciate

"Understand fully. Recognise the full implications of."

So it's Sunday evening. I've just returned from a weekend of little sleep, consisting of many conversations with Youth Leaders and a little bit of worshipping God. I'm shattered and, if I'm honest, a little grumpy. Cue standing outside on a roof terrace for a little secret project (more on that in the near future), feeling sorry for myself, and getting a little wet from the torrential rain hitting the entirety of the UK at the minute.

...

So it's Monday lunchtime and I've decided to finally watch the first episode of "Why Poverty?" Still a little tired, and apprehensive about watching in case I burst into tears. Cue 58 minutes of gripping facts, stories of individuals in England, America, Sierra Leone and Cambodia. And bawling my eyes out at a 12 year old boy who has to collect his mother's HIV drugs while she gives birth. The baby dies two months later.

And it leads me to realise that I take my world for granted every single day.

Being born in the UK is a blessing. Having a loving family and home to live in makes my situation privileged. Having more than enough to live each day lands me in the small percentage of people in the world who are classified as rich.

I spend too much time complaining that I'm cold or wet to recognise that people across the world are hungry, sick and dying. Even working in an international development charity cannot stop my complaints.

A while ago I wrote a blog which included this sentence:

"in a charity office, there’s the risk of falling into the trap that you’re just working in London."

It's fair to say that recently I've been in that trap. I've forgotten to appreciate what God's given me. And that I need to use the blessings I have to serve.

This weekend I did get to spend some time worshipping God. And these words stuck out: 

"...we want to see your kingdom here. Spirit break out. Break our walls down." 

I think God's kingdom is one of justice and equality. Where 12 year olds in Cambodia have the same privileges as I experienced when I was that age. I also think that the process of breaking walls down includes breaking down selfish preconceptions and recognising what to do with the blessings we're given. 


Comments