Doorstep

This week, we discovered mice in our house. Much panicking ensued, and we became obsessed with trying to figure out where they were hiding and how we could get rid of them without killing them.

However, the mere knowledge of mice in the house made us slightly on edge. Where before I would have been perfectly happy to find my way to the bathroom in the dark, now lights are used just in case I might happen to tread on a small furry thing. It's something you're always aware of (even though it is more likely that mice are scared of humans and would probably run away).

However, the small point I've drawn from this is that it's so easy to become obsessed with the tiniest details (or animals). This week we've been listening intently for the smallest motion that might signify where mice are hiding, and panicking at each scuttling noise we hear.

Yet it struck me how minor this issue is comparatively. I've definitely thought a lot more about mice than the escalating conflict in the middle east this week. I've been obsessed with my own issues a lot more than praying for what's happening across our world. And it just strikes me that we're always looking at the little things, poring over issues that are to do with us and any change in our lives is something that we focus on intently. This week, the new possibility that I might be attacked by a small furry mouse.

I've titled this post, "Doorstep", because we very often become so focused on what's around us that we forget to look beyond it. And because we're likely to spend more time thinking about things that are "doorstep issues" than the bigger picture.

Challenge for this week is to look beyond my doorstep. Even if the bigger issues seem beyond my reach, we still need to care and pray into them.


Comments