Spontaneity

"Spontaneity: (of a person) having an open, natural, and uninhibited manner."

This week I had a telephone on my desk in the office for three days. Last night I went to a Roller Disco. 

The link?

Perhaps this week's word is a bit of a clue... 

This week I've been working on one of my New Year's aims; to be more spontaneous. I enjoy the definition of this word very much as it includes some interesting words: 

Open: 

I am a self-titled control freak. I plan, organise and control my life to the highest extreme. I know what social activities I'm participating in; what each evening of the week will entail. And to change plans makes me uncomfortable. I dislike last minute and panic when things aren't done. 

Planning is good. Inflexibility is not. And I realised in my 2012 life reflection that I leave little space for letting life happen. Being open to new opportunities is something I'm hoping to do more.

Natural: 

I wouldn't associate natural with spontaneous. But naturally, life is spontaneous. We don't know what will happen tomorrow, however much we plan. Being spontaneous is letting life happen, naturally. And is something I'm not very good at. 

To let life happen naturally is allowing space for others - and for me, for God - to work. 

Uninhibited: 

This implies letting go. Which implies losing control. And this makes me uncomfortable. However, within boundaries I'm learning that you become comfortable. Safe. And I don't think my life is about being safe. Jesus didn't tell the early Church that they'd be safe. They weren't safe; they were persecuted and killed for being Christians. If they did that, what can we do today?

I think uninhibited means stepping outside of your comfort zone a bit. 

Spontaneity is a huge challenge. But I think it will be one which will teach me a lot. And already I'm thankful for new opportunities.


As a postscript, I'd like to quickly mention that I have a minor phobia of answering telephones, especially if they're official. To have one on my desk for three days was definitely uncomfortable, if not strictly spontaneous. The roller disco was absolutely spontaneous and uncomfortable, if only because I fell flat on the floor.




Comments