Challenge


"...a task or situation that tests someone's abilities." 



There are three months left of my internship. It's quite amazing to think back and realise how much I've learnt, grown and been challenged by. I wrote a blog for Greenbelt recently which includes a little bit about how interning has impacted me. 

However, I could talk about many experiences; no amount of blogs could summarise the journey that it's been. Consequently, I've been thinking a little bit about how I can give something back.

Yes, interning means devoting 35 hours of your week to Christian Aid, but for us it's meant receiving a lot of valuable experience and knowledge about the world of international development. Most of the time it's been positive, exciting and even fun. And I've been so blessed through the people who have mentored, supervised and encouraged me. 

Yet the focus of the organisation isn't on us but the people across the world living in extreme poverty. For them, life is difficult. Zimbabwe taught me that food and water aren't easily accessible. And hunger isn't the only problem; malnutrition often leads to illness and death too. But additionally, communities can't always speak up for themselves. Their voices are stifled because they're not rich. Money means power. It's not fair. And this doesn't just happen in Zimbabwe. Past trips to India and Uganda are still on my mind, because the same issues occur there too. 

I'm challenging myself to put myself in their shoes. For five days between the 22nd-26th April I'm going to participate in something called Live Below the Line. It means living below the poverty line for 5 days. In the UK that's £1 per day. This will be five days of malnutrition, because it's practically impossible to feed yourself well for that amount of money. Yet so many people have to. 

I'm making the challenge a little harder though, because I want to experience not having a voice to stand up for myself too. Consequently, I'm doing a sponsored silence and for every £50 I raise, I'll be silent for a day. I won't be able to complain that I'm hungry and it's not guaranteed that my emotions and needs will be addressed while I'm quiet. Nobody will know what I need. And that's the reality for so many people living today. 

For me, a lack of caffeine is difficult. For me, being quiet for 10 minutes is a challenge. With minimal food and no voice, I'm going to be uncomfortable. But the reason I'm doing this is to relate, in some way, to people I've met in Uganda, India and Zimbabwe. Their lives are so different to mine yet they're humans just like me. With dreams and hopes for the future. 

The money I raise will not fix their lives. It's a small contribution to a much bigger problem. Yet hopefully I'll be able to gain a deeper empathy, and make a donation back to Christian Aid to say thank you. For opening my eyes and developing a passion in me that's keen to help where I can. Using the skills God's given me for that purpose.

If you'd like to donate anything from £50 to 50p, I've got a Justgiving page here :) 



Comments