Trust

Recently I’ve been reminded of a time when God provided. Last year I needed somewhere to stay for two weeks and at just the right time a friend said I could stay with her. Not only was the location perfect for the work experience I was doing, but I also deepened an existing friendship. God didn’t just provide; he provided abundantly.

Trust is something I’m really bad at. I don’t like trusting other people because it means relying on them instead of myself. I’ve often mentioned that I’m a control freak; something that means I dislike letting other people do things for me, especially if I know I’m able. Sometimes trusting in others means acknowledging that I can’t do it on my own, and for someone as stubborn as me, that’s a real issue.

Trusting in God is one of those blase phrases which is used abundantly in Christian circles. Yet like me, I’ve found that few Christian friends find it easy to wholly or abundantly rely on God. It’s difficult to accept circumstances which are painful or difficult and still believe that a God (who is invisible) is working.

It doesn’t mean feeling calm and peaceful all the time. But it’s not always about sitting and being passive either. In my situation I wasn’t just waiting for someone to offer me a place to stay, but was actively seeking people who might be able to help. Before I was offered a place to stay I also received two or three messages from other friends to say that I wasn’t able to stay with them.

At that point I was frustrated at how things weren’t going smoothly and why I still wasn’t sorted. It’s fair to say I was trusting my own means. But I believe in a God who knows me better than I do and I believe I ended up in exactly the right place because of that.

Free will and God is a really confusing thing to get your head around. Mother Teresa provides a great perspective though:

“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.”

As Christians we’re encouraged to trust God. But we’re also encouraged to live freely - not robots without decision making brains. 

This week I’ve been so encouraged as God has shown me what he wants me to do for the next while. But now as I find somewhere to live for the summer I’m reminded that it’s about me trusting him, but being active and using the trust he’s given me to make the right decisions. 

"Trust: firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something." 


Comments