Hospitality


For a couple of my adolescent years, Sunday afternoons were always spent at the house of one of my closest friends. After enjoying lunch with my family, I would rush down the road to find that dessert was just being served there. It didn't really matter what time I arrived, I seemed to have a special knack for knowing exactly when I'd get a bowl full of delight (and that delight usually included ice-cream...).

It became something of a tradition, and remains a particularly strong memory. It's only looking back now that I realise how generous my friend's parents were. There were often guests in their house, yet it didn't matter how many people there were for Sunday lunch because there was always dessert for me. 

Even now they are very special people to me, and I'm recognising that my love of hospitality has, in part, been thanks to them. 

There's something incredibly amazing about gathering together to eat. My love of cooking and eating is particularly obvious if anyone spends time with me, but nothing makes me happier than a room filled with people, having dinner together and just being themselves.

I say this pertinently because this week I'm hosting a few meals in our lovely flat in London. The huge living area makes it a natural place for gatherings to happen, but in the busy nature of life it often remains empty. 

This year I want to be more generous with my time and talents, and so having people over for dinner is a no-brainer. Perhaps a small part of me might be selfishly craving the compliments that come with cooking, but the much larger passion within delights in hosting and enjoying the simplicity of eating and sharing thoughts. 

It's something we love to talk about in the office too and I know I've mentioned it before in my previous blog posts. But the table makes us equals as we share together. There's a special sort of atmosphere reserved for dinner gatherings which unfolds big conversations, moments of laughter and delight. It's time where you can't do anything else - you're not going to answer your mobile or start messaging on Facebook - because it's about food and it's about the people eating alongside you. 

Jesus loved eating with people and a lot of the Gospels focus on when he dined with others. During all of my travels, the people welcoming us always offered food. In Uganda, India and Zimbabwe, food is hospitality and accepting means you accept others for who they are. 

Making time to eat with others is more than just going out for a fancy meal. It's genuine conversation and an opportunity to listen and learn from others. 

I love it. And that's why I'm striving to do hospitality better... involving plenty of food. If you're coming to my house this week, I'm excited to eat with you.

"Hospitality: the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers."


....Tomorrow we're Eating, Acting and Praying. Check it out. 



Comments