Choice

Broad bean pesto. Obviously. 

adjective

"... (especially of food) of very good quality."

This week I received my first veg box. I have to admit that I was slightly concerned about the idea for one main reason:
I hate food waste.

Sounds like an odd concern. But this week, in my aforementioned veg box, I received:

1 medium sized bag of potatoes
4 large vine tomatoes
1 large bag of broad beans
1 red cabbage
1 red topped lettuce (absolutely huge)
1 large bunch of carrots with tops on

Additionally, to top up my order, I received 3 large sweet potatoes.

I was thrilled. I was absolutely 100% swayed by their friendly advertising and beautiful presentation. I even get something free in my veg box next week. I might choose a loaf of bread, or some eggs, or some milk.

But I'm panicking. Because I hate waste and how am I possibly going to eat a whole red cabbage in a week when I normally never even eat it? What about all of those potatoes when I prefer eating pasta? At least I've managed to turn the broad beans into pesto...

It struck me that I'm not altogether comfortable with the idea of having too many healthy, delightfully presented, 100% organic vegetables when there's a real issue with nutrition not just in countries like India and Guatemala, but right here in the UK. And I'm so aware of how stupidly posh I sound, and how lucky and fortunate I am to be able to source my vegetables ethically and have them delivered right to my doorstep.

There's a tension, between being a charity worker who works daily to reduce and eradicate poverty, and being an individual who sits comfortably in a middle class bubble of organic pesto.

I spend a lot of time figuring out if the food I eat has been sourced ethically. But I'm so fortunate to have the privilege of being able to. Not everyone can afford this luxury.

So I'm confused. Yet, as always, I'm not sure there's one correct answer.

I think being aware of the blessings I could take for granted is a start. And then investing in those wonderful charities who are providing nutritious food for those who can't afford it. And especially in London, there's the risk of going out for dinner just because it's convenient, which means wasting the vegetables that have been produced for my meals. So I want to think carefully. But I'm certain there's more I can choose to do.

And so we choose. We make choices every day. And I'm reminding myself to remember the luxury this is. And to choose wisely not just how I'm spending my money, but how I want to be living my life.

Choice: noun

"a range of possibilities from which one or more may be chosen."




Comments