Mosaic



I work in an international development charity which means being paid money to help end global poverty, which sounds funny all in one sentence but actually makes a lot of sense. My 9-5 looks like reading, writing and creating resources to equip our supporters to join in with what we do. It's a massive privilege. I'm incredibly lucky. 

However, it's easy to think that working for 35 hours a week is probably enough time devoted to changing the world. And so, when I found myself at a conference hosted by another international development charity (on a Saturday morning) I did wonder if I'd made the correct decision to be there.

But when you work in one place, you forget that elsewhere change is happening too. Mosaic conference taught me a little of the community and transformation that's going on outside of my usual realm. And with it, I met a whole host of wonderful people who were supporting this transformative work too. 

International development conference days are great because they're full of interesting chat and shared vision; finding people that you have things in common with and places to share your ideas and ambitions for a better world. 

What struck me most were the individual ideas and dreams that contributed to the bigger picture. Quite like the beautiful word definition that I discovered while thinking of this post: 

Mosaic: "...combine (distinct or disparate elements) to form a picture or pattern."

So often, we think that one way is best -  that we have the ultimate solution or that everyone should just copy us as we strive to achieve the biggest of things. But just like a mosaic formed of parts which might seem opposite to one another, we are unique humans and our talents are varied too. But that doesn't mean we can't strive for one goal and use our uniqueness in the process. 

I was reminded to think again about how we can all contribute in some way to ending poverty. I don't just mean a lack of money, but the lack of rights, power & freedom that occurs in the world. Not just in continents that seem far away, but right here, on our doorstep, where things also aren't perfect. Yes, it's my 9-5, but it's everyone's duty to pitch in. 

Can you imagine what would happen if we all decided to become part of the justice mosaic? If we stopped holding so tightly to our pride, comfort or charity allegiance? What if we all thought of one thing we could do that could start creating change? What if we did that, and passed it on to someone else? A ripple effect leading to a big picture of justice with millions of individuals who will work together, without barrier, to make it happen. 

That's the sort of mosaic I would love to have a look at. 


Comments