Earth


What a wonderful world

Recently, I've been thinking about our planet. I've been incredibly fortunate to visit quite a bit of it already; this year alone I've climbed an active volcano in Sicily, viewed incredible landscapes in Barcelona and have relished the beauty that comes from the turning of the seasons in Britain.

The earth is awesome. Yesterday I was chatting with some friends about Life Story, a television series documenting the lives of animals from birth to death. It's beautifully filmed and very exciting even for someone who's not bothered about animals most of the time (me).

And as well as all the stunning scenery and amazing animals, there are lots of people on our planet too.

7 billion, in fact.

And the stories that I've heard make me realise how great humans are. Communities in Brazil who are protecting the rainforest from deforestation. Others in the Philippines who are adamantly building a new life, as a community, after natural disaster struck. Others still in Zimbabwe, who I was lucky enough to spend time with, who loved drinking a cup of tea as much as me. Sharing human experiences is pretty special.

Our planet has some great things. But it's in danger too. Everyone's heard scientists and newspapers warning us about climate change and how the earth could change. Most of us have recognised the increasing risk of natural disasters all over the world, even here in the UK. And lots of charities like the one I work for have heard stories from around the world, where people in the poorest communities are experiencing hardship and difficulty because of erratic weather patterns.

It's the last one that convinces me the most. Even when I was in Zimbabwe two years ago, all of the farmers we met were worried because they couldn't guess when the rain would come, like they used to. It's one thing to say that the future could be very different. But there are humans all over the globe suffering now.

Taking action against climate change is tricky. A simple act like giving money won't make a difference. Other countries and governments across the world don't seem to care. So why should we? Would turning off a light really make a difference?

Probably not. But here's the thing; actions can speak louder than words. My team have produced these really interesting challenges to get us thinking about climate change. The idea isn't just that you use your bike more, but that you share your actions with your friends and family and challenge them too. AND, you'll share your actions with your MP.

Imagine this: MPs all over the country receiving letters from hundreds of young people saying the same thing: "We care about our planet. We want climate change to stop. We want to protect the future, so we're doing ....... to make a difference."

Our actions alone are probably not going to save the planet. Our rants to important people might not be heard if it's just one or two. But imagine together. Together, using actions AND words. Together, petitioning the government all over the country. I've mentioned it before, but the UK is a powerful voice in the world. Not the only powerful voice, but it is one. And if we can rally together to make sure our MPs know what's important, they will probably listen.

I'm cutting down on my plastic this year. I've bought a shampoo bar. I'm trying to not buy too much plastic packaging. I'm seeking ways to find alternatives to my everyday products. It's a nightmare. But I want to save the planet so I'm trying hard.

What will you do?

Earth: "The planet on which we live. The world." 

Comments