Content




I've only got one New Year's resolution for 2015. It's quite basic. I want to read the Bible. One friend at Church was a bit surprised when I revealed my not-so-epic promise for the year, but as most of my current biblical knowledge is based on my half-theology degree that I completed over two years ago, it's fair to say I should get on it.

The Bible is hard to read, so I've got myself an app to help me on my way (this is 2015 after all). However, I'm quickly frustrated. Not because the Bible reading is too much, but because the app isn't structured in the way that I want. Then, because the commentary isn't what I expected. Then, because I haven't structured my time well enough so have a lot of Genesis to read at 11.30pm.

And then I stop and realise another resolution I should probably make. The promise to be content.

Content:  Latin; contentus, to be 'satisfied'. 

It's so easy to complain about the things that are wrong rather than the blessings that are right. To whinge instead of being thankful; to find fault rather than praise.

So when I wake up and it's raining again, I promise to be content.
When the Oyster card machine has stopped working, I promise to be content.
When I get to the office and my computer is slower than a snail, I promise to be content.
When I haven't received the email I need to do some of my work, I promise to be content.
When I miss two trains home because another was late, I promise to be content.
When I burn my loaf of bread, I promise to be content.
When I chip my nail varnish, I promise to be content.

Then,

When I don't get my own way, I promise to be content.
When my prayers are left unanswered, I promise to be content.
When it feels like everything is going wrong, I promise to be content.

Let me clarify - I don't mean ignorance; pretending everything is fine when it's not. I mean being satisfied with what I have rather than what I don't. I have a hunch that it's better for us to think that way, and as New Year's resolutions are striving for us to be better humans, being content is one of the best things I can be.


" I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." 
- Philippians 4:11-12. 



Comments