Slow



Slowing down to appreciate the view.



Verb: "live or work less actively or intensely" 


The main thing that I'm learning to adjust to about not living in London is how much free time I have. For fear of sparking a little jealousy, let me elaborate...

My house is a six minute walk from my office, a gift that just keeps giving. Like when I get home at 5.36pm and realise the whole evening stretches ahead. Getting up at 7.30am to go running before work; dropping by my house over my lunch break when I've forgotten something I need. My doctor, dentist, optician, hairdresser and supermarket are within 10 minutes walk. It's outrageously more efficient than having to hop on a tube to get anywhere. My weekly transport fees are non-existent. 

Subsequently, spare time is in my hands like free-flowing gold. Despite this, we live in a culture where being busy is synonymous with being important, valuable or great; where a Friday evening in is considered to be uncool. It's an odd juxtaposition. Everyone says, "Oh, I wish I had more time" and yet when it's placed in front of them, it's quickly filled; for fear of seeming lonely or boring, or simply because the importance of stopping to rest isn't valued enough. 

So I'm at this point where I know there are a plethora of things I could do to make my schedule more hectic. Countless charity projects or church activities to join, weekends away to go on, people to catch up with. And all of these things are equally tempting. But in the middle of choosing how best to spend my time (and I'm acutely aware that it's a blessing to be able to do this), a still, small voice in my head reminds me that being busy is not my end goal.

In fact, I'm recognising that this free time is a gift that I need to enjoy. 

To slow - to live life less intensely - has benefits that we can't ignore. The importance of rest; of relaxing; of taking time out to write, pray and exercise. To appreciate your own company; to breathe; to separate yourself from the thoughts running around your head.  I'm recognising the importance of being in this small town to learn and to grow. Right now, I'm practising slowing down. It's hard, but it's definitely important.


Comments