Persist

Persist // pəˈsɪst // Continue in an opinion or course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition (from the Latin, "sistere" meaning, "to stand" ) 

Recently, I've been investing time in trying to understand the character of Jesus. Not just the words that he spoke or the things that he taught - the characteristics he embodied and the way he behaved. 

I'm probably a bit late to the party; the bread and butter basic of Christianity that most people hear is:  "What would Jesus Do?" - usually in an attempt to make wise or 'godly' decisions. And yet, this simple Bible-reading exercise has, for me, uncovered some challenging truths.

Jesus was wise. Really wise. He knew what to say when others challenged him without being rude or discouraging - a fine art indeed. He was also really good at paying attention to the needs of others - providing food when they needed it after a long day, or giving encouragement to exactly those who needed it. Not only was he great at teaching in a relatable and relevant way - he was was good at rest - ensuring time out after a long day of crowds, which meant he was pretty devoted to praying too.

When it comes to mannerisms, Jesus was pretty great at showing what was important, who was important, and how to interact with humans. 

Yet, these few initial observations have made me pretty self-conscious of my behaviour in contrast;  even on these basics I'm not doing so well. And it's not just me, either. The behaviour of the wider Church often focuses solely on Jesus' teaching without paying much attention to the way in which he delivered it.

In this ongoing quest to re-capture the heart of my faith,  I've realised that I won't be able to be like Jesus overnight. Nor will I be able to achieve easily. Nor will I be able to do it on my own. 

The origin of the word "Persist" comes from Latin word: "sistere" meaning "to stand". And I love the imagery it creates. You see, persistence is a bold move; a confident choice.

Often, when things get tough, the natural inclination is to run away, to curl up and become as small as possible. When it comes to our own shortcomings, or the shortcomings of the body of Christians we belong to, we often want to curl up, embarrassed, ashamed.

But to persist is to stand. And not just to stand, but to stand TALL. The beauty of Christianity is that it acknowledges that we're not going to get it right all the time. But we have the freedom to try again. 

Persistence is a bold move; a confident choice. A decision to stand tall rather than to curl up. Right now, in my humble acknowledgement that I'm not like Jesus yet, it's making that decision to persist even when I feel like I'm not there yet. Even when it's not going right.

As with most lessons, it's also acknowledging I can't do it on my own. Praying for those difficult things to not be as challenging; meeting with friends to be honest about challenges; being part of a community that help me grow in understanding. Starting afresh, each day.

It's not about beating ourselves down, but standing tall and starting over. It's not just a way to acknowledge shortcomings, but a way to keep going through any difficult circumstance; a significant, active action.

Persistence is a pretty significant move for those challenging times.



Comments