Enough

"...as much or as many as required." 

I'm one of those people who is obsessive in the details of my week's schedule, of everyone else's and of everything around me. In terms of my daily knowledge, more is more. I feel this way about the way I like to fill my time. Being busy suits me and I love to have lots to do. More is more. Most significantly, I feel the opposite when I'm uncertain of times or dates or when I don't know what's going on. Less is definitely not more.

House hunting is one of those horrible tasks which is always going to be a bit stressful. House hunting in London two days before the Olympics started was probably a really bad idea. 48 hours later we'd looked around one house. Even then, I'd sent my future housemate to look because I decided that coffee with a friend was a better idea.

I think what confused me most was the amount of prayer that I'd done before, during, and after this process. And I didn't understand why we'd been so unsuccessful. I still trusted God entirely, but the "more is more" part of me really wanted various options to choose from and lots of experience to learn from.

I trotted off to Soul Survivor, where some lyrics really stood out to me:

"The riches of your love will always be enough."

I think if I was blessed with the gift of songwriting, I would definitely say something along the lines of "the riches of your love will be more than I can comprehend" or "the riches of your love are amazing and fabulous and unbelievable to me." These sentences are evidence that I'm really not called to do that right now.

My point, however, is the idea that God's love, although amazing, unbelievable and vast; is enough for us. "As much as required" for us. It should satisfy us. And that means we should be satisfied with enough and not more.

A song a little bit later stated:

"We know you are enough."

God is enough for my life and therefore I don't need more. In every element I should be trusting that he will provide "as much or as many as required" for me. This counts for everything. My money, my possessions, my relationships, my spiritual life.

And my house.

On Monday while camping I received an excited phone call from my future housemate which announced that they'd sorted a 4 bedroom property in Wimbledon to live in, starting in September, for 10 months. Through this experience I think that God is saying something along the lines of: "I know you're a control freak and you wanted to do it all, but look, I've done it for you, so trust that I'm enough."

 I like the way the Message translates 1 Corinthians 12: 

"My grace is enough; it's all you need." 

So I'm going to try and live with that in mind for the next while. 

Comments