Titles

A weekend of Skype and phonecalls with some Durham friends has demonstrated that I dominate conversations with my many, many words.

I've been meaning to write a short post about why each of my blog titles has only one word. It's quite uncharacteristic of someone who loves to use 100 words where 10 could have been used. I know that I talk more than most people I know and love to describe things with numerous superlatives. In fact, it's quite ironic that I'm explaining, in about 500 words, why my blog titles only have 1. 

Fortunately, internet blogs provide an idealistic means of portraying oneself. I would love to be one of those people who can perfectly sum up their thoughts in a sentence, or use precisely the right word at a given time. I know a few people who are able to do this; quite a few went to my Church in Durham. I've always been really inspired by them, particularly their contributions to Bible studies, and realise that I should probably learn to think before I speak. Sometimes one word is all that is needed.  And my goal for my blog titles was to think a little bit more about words and why we use them. 

This idea has been slightly borrowed from a blog showed to me by a friend, where a Christian reflection is taken from a dictionary definition. I loved it, and thought it would be okay to emulate that a little. Although as demonstrated in this post, I'm not able to be quite as biblical in my reflections! I've also been inspired by a game we used to play during our final term of uni. Monologue Mondays, as they were so affectionately named, were an opportunity to talk for as long as possible about a single word or topic. A bit like "Just a Minute" but without the strict limitations. After talking for a long time about zips, I realised I could probably do a blog in the same format.

Titles of books are important. I've been reading Les Misérables for way too long now, but its title is a profound description of what the story is about. Although we've been told that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, its title is something we should pay attention to. 

So, my reasoning is that one word blog titles might be beneficial for blog viewers, who will then have to endure my many, many worded blogposts. And perhaps, they might keep me focused on what exactly I'm supposed to be talking about! 



Comments