Compartmentalise


I like putting things into boxes. Not literal boxes, of course, but metaphorical ones. Organising bits of my life into sections and being on top of things. 

Sometimes though, I do this accidentally.

In 2012 I went to Zimbabwe for two weeks. It was a humbling experience because I met families with nothing. They were joyful. They praised God despite their circumstances. They prayed diligently. Last year, I was impacted by their environment and their society. I wanted to pray for them continually. I wanted to remember that passion and not let it go.

I didn't. I forgot. 

On Sunday I went to Church and watched a documentary about Zimbabwe and realised there is so much that needs to be changed there. My passion was sparked, my anger at injustice rekindled, my heart drawn to God and my soul crying for change. 

I remembered.

And I realised that I'd put Zimbabwe in a 'justice overseas' box. One I've been ignoring for a while as I've wrestled with things closer to home. And it made me realise that my daily life can't be divided into boxes. 

Jo Blogs carries the tagline of "the everyday, the supernatural, and the world beyond these islands." So often I compartmentalise my life into these areas. Prayer time in the morning and the evening. Justice chat in the office. Cooking and cleaning in the evening. 

Then something breaks through the boxes. A sort of power that interrupts me when I'm becoming too selfish. Something to rekindle my passion just as I need it. 

Compartmentalise is a new favourite word. It's not a very practical word and it can't be applied to a lot: 

"...divide into discrete sections or categories."

But I tend to veer towards it when I shouldn't. When I need to make space for God to move in everything. When I need passion for changing the world to seep into all of my time. When I need the everyday to be comprised of supernatural and the world beyond these islands. 

And to that, I realise it's about praying more and thinking less. 

Decompartmentalise.  It's not a word. But it's something I need to do. 

Comments