Persuade


13.1 miles of running through lots of parks. Here's hoping I still appreciate the view.



I love my job. Writing resources for children and teenagers is incredibly fun. Some people write policy reports - I write magazine articles and design posters.

The work that Christian Aid does isn't always fun, though. Poverty still exists and fighting it means a lot of action, a lot of prayer and a lot of money.

Working in the charity sector is something I've always wanted to do, but inherent to any charity project is the money that's donated by the general public to get things done. It's a difficult climate to do that in. Yet it doesn't really matter what our British economic situation is - people all over the world are still suffering. There's still something we can do and there's always money we can give.

Recently, one of the 2014 intern graduates did a sponsored cycle. Why? Because she knew that it wasn't just enough to tell people to give. And she raised over £300 by doing something challenging. Of course, in an ideal world, people would be compelled to give because they see the need, but we're personal people who relate more to other people's challenges.

So....

I'm running a half-marathon.

Let me get the facts straight, because you're probably thinking: some people run marathons. Why only halfway?

I'm not one of those people. It took me 2 years to run 5 kilometres. No kidding. I'm not good with training programmes. I don't cope well with pressure. It doesn't spur me on, it makes me freak out.

So I'm running a half-marathon. I've just gained an additional two blisters on my toes from my latest run (I got lost and ran down a super steep hill. Bad idea). But that's not the point - it doesn't matter how difficult my training might be, poverty still exists and inequality is becoming greater. And that's just not fair.

I'm not asking for money because it'll make me more enthralled about my 13.1 miles of running or because I'm doing something that's particularly crazy. But because I know that giving to a charity that knows what its doing (and believe me, I'm not being biased when I suggest that Christian Aid is doing a good thing)  is a great way to start changing the inequality that's all over our globe.

Don't want to give me money? Please please please use your voice to make a difference HERE.
Bit skeptical? Please please please ask me questions. Or pop over to christianaidcollective.org. 

Fancy giving a little or a lot to my effort? HERE. 

It's not about feeling guilty. Or convinced by my persuasive writing skills (if nothing else, surely you understand why I write for a charity now? Maybe?). Just look at the news and see the brokenness. This is a way to make a difference.


Persuade: "(of a situation or event) provide a sound reason for (someone) to do something."


Comments