Decade

photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7256027@N04/3176594915">" Merci pour ce souffle d'énergie"</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>



Writing is a personal passion. I say this semi-regularly in job applications and often when I meet new people, but more and more, I'm recognising its truth.

Words do excite and inspire, encourage and uplift.

A decade ago I started my first blog and it's led to incredible things, including my career. The original Jo Blogs still exists but today as a private journal (which is probably for the best). A decade of writing is a lot of words, so I've written a few reflections.


Why everyone should write: 

You can reflect and remember the important things. Like this moment from 2006:

"Yesterday was the best day EVER!
I got post! I never get post! And it was a FREE PINK FLUFFY PEN that I texted away for a while back. It was awesome. I was well chuffed." 


And although it is slightly disconcerting to realise that my mannerisms as a twenty-five year old are quite similar to this, writing has become a way to let off steam, to think through difficult decisions, to honestly reflect on life. It's definitely a great thing to do. It doesn't have to be public, just real. 


Why blogging is a good way to share your thoughts with others: 

A little bit of an introvert, I'm often scared to voice my real thoughts in big open spaces. Yes, I can speak in front of a crowd, but not if I want to say something that could be controversial. Often, I need time to process my thoughts, but I'm learning that writing is a good way to talk about your passion.

I did this when I was younger too:

"Think what would happen if we all prayed for someone more than just once.
Think what could happen.
That just really inspired me.
Anything is possible with God." 

Blogging is a space to shout out in a world of opinions. And that's an exciting opportunity to practise using your voice. And words can inspire and encourage others, so it's worth speaking out. 


What my sixteen year old self didn't know:

The first blog post I ever published ended like this, "I really don't know how much I'll write, but it'll be fun all the same." 

It's amazing to see a decade of my life documented in one place. Ten years really is a long time, and I'm grateful for the opportunities that words have given to be myself and to write down hopes and dreams, some of which have actually happened. Not all of them just yet though, as my sixteen year old self wrote this too:

"I have NO idea what I'll do in the future. Maybe I'll become a nun." 

Words do excite and inspire, encourage and uplift. Here's to the next decade of writing and seeing what happens. And if you haven't already, check out my new writing adventure, the Doorstep Community Project. It's inspiring me, and hopefully it could inspire others too.



Decade (noun): "A period of ten years." 

Comments