Collide


Vienna; a city where worlds collide. 



Latin: collidere - ‘col’ - together‘ laedere’ - strike.


There’s something incredibly special about people gathering from all over the world. I love the idea of different cultures and backgrounds colliding together in one place; a natural space of learning from one another, imparting wisdom together and sharing stories that enhance and remind of our shared humanity.

The past week has been a big collision of cultures. In Vienna, a mishmash of people from far and wide gathered with a shared vision. From Australia, America, the Middle East, across Europe and beyond. Uniting together for celebration and purpose. Uniting together to celebrate a prayer movement that’s growing and moving, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Going to a beautiful European city for week three of my new job was the ultimate perk. But beyond the beautiful backdrop, delicious cakes and the crisp, fresh air, there was also an excitement about seeing exactly what I've let myself in for. My job is not just a role that starts at 9am Monday and finishes at 5.30pm on Friday. That’s not what I’ve signed up for. 

In Vienna, I discovered that being part of this new community means joining with hundreds of people who are living lives that are radically generous. This week I’ve heard stories of couples who have sacrificed hugely for their faith; individuals who are risking persecution because of what they believe in, and communities who are loving and serving the needy among them as their top priority; literally giving away everything, for others. 

Being part of a prayer movement doesn't just mean being on your knees and waiting for God to say hello. It means leaving that comfortable haven of a cosy prayer room to get your hands dirty. It means sacrificing your needs for others. It means proactively watching the news, seeing the problems of the world and asking, "What do I do about this?"

And doing it.  

If the heart of Christianity is loving others and sharing God's love for the world, then we can't sit still or comfortably. 

I've collided with these ideas before; but this week has thrown me right in at the deep end, and reminded me to be involved in the brokenness of the world. So together we worshipped and prayed; but we also gave donations and clothes for Vienna’s refugees. We opened the doors of a big Catholic Cathedral to share God’s love with everyone. We gave money generously to help those who really need it. 

I’ve been humbled and challenged to really engage. Not just with my shiny new job, but to engage with everything Christianity stands for; loving those living on my doorsteps. Sacrificing my comfort to share what I have with others; engaging with the realities of the world. Forgetting the importance of me, and remembering the value of each person in our world.

We gathered in a city that is colliding with refugees. I walked past them in Vienna’s Central station each afternoon. And in one of our evening meetings, I coliided with a couple from Iraq, who have been trying to make Vienna their home. They discovered the local Church’s generosity and through it, they saw God’s love. So they came to our big meeting and were amazed at the passion of the people they saw. I chatted with them for five minutes or so and then I cried at the state of the world. A world where people have to travel thousands of miles to make somewhere new their home; to learn and engage with a completely different culture with barely any support from other human beings. A world where we're not equal, even though we should be. 

The world is broken and hurting. And this week, our conference collided with this. But I think that’s the point; that’s what we’re called to do. Not to shy away from the problems of this world to be on our knees; but to collide - strike together - intentionally and purposefully to make something change.

Colliding doesn’t always happen on purpose. It’s not always comfortable or nice to bash into a situation that feels messy or broken. But it’s important to make a difference and together, to work and fight for transformation. So in a pretty, cobbled town in Surrey, I'm praying that I'll feel uncomfortable, not comfortable, and start to make loving my neighbour - ALL of my neighbours - a reality.


Comments