Gift


"a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present..."

I began Christmas shopping yesterday; very unusual for someone usually so organised. Yet sixty minutes later and I'd finished. A record for me, and perhaps some sort of world record too. I exaggerate a little here, though, because buying presents for three people was never going to consume much of my time back in Belfast.

It's fair to say that I wasn't exactly running to get back to Belfast with recent news reports of violence and riots that genuinely frustrate me when I'm in England. However days of relaxing with family - eating together, living together once more; being able to be in my own space and being quiet and not busy after weeks of running around London - exactly what I needed. It seems that home has become an unexpected gift. 

Yet Christmas is more than gifts and relaxation. Looking at the Christmas story this week has made me realise once more that Jesus was perceived as a gift when he was announced to the world. 

Luke's story captures these reactions: 

"Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!- Elizabeth. 

"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour!" - Mary. 

“Blessed be the Lord, God of Israel, for he has visited and redeemed his people!" - Zechariah. 

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" - Host of Angels. 

"Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation." - Simeon.

"...She began to give thanks to God and to speak of him [Jesus] to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem."  - Anna. 

Often we forget to look at the words of praise. We sing carols each year and the lyrics sometimes lose their significance. The words we sing are powerful:

"Fall on your knees. Hear the angel voices. Night Divine. Night when Christ was Born." 
"O Come Let us adore him, Christ the Lord."
"Jesus, Lord at thy Birth. Jesus, Lord at thy Birth." 
"So God imparts, to human hearts, the blessings of his heaven." 

What happens if we take this seriously? The Christmas story becomes a message that's more powerful than giving presents and having family time. It becomes a gift that's really significant. And I'm challenged, again; this time by this definition of gift: 

"Gift: a very easy task or unmissable opportunity..."

Comments