Hubbub

"...a busy, noisy situation."

A little while ago, I wrote a blog called impatience , in which I talked about how peaceful my life was and how I was "restlessly eager" for what was to come. I think it's fair to say that for me now, London is living up the stereotype of a busy place to be. So much so that this blog has to be a quick one as this afternoon and evening promise festive cheer and community at Church.

It's exciting how time makes life progress. And I noticed after a relaxing trip to Durham just how noisy my life is becoming. Although perhaps noisy isn't the correct term as it implies negative connotations. Hubbub is a beautiful word (perhaps the most unusual I've used since beginning this blog), and suggests something of the hectic nature of London life.

I'm loving it. And as a result the past 6 weeks have flown. 

However, the run up to Christmas for me is usually a time for reflection on the Christmas Story. On Jesus, and what we're really celebrating. This year, it hasn't happened excepting a few carols on in the background.

I was recently listening to Silent Night, one of those Christmas songs which really frustrates me because of its theological inaccuracy. I highly doubt that it was quiet, and still and "all was bright" when Jesus was born. I suspect that it was a racket and a stress, especially for Mary and Joseph.

However, in the hubbub of my life, I'm recognising the other definition of silent. Because this carol was originally written in German, and its title is "Stille Nacht". I'm absolutely not a linguist, but a little investigation on Google informed me that the word "Stille" in German means either "silence" or "stillness". 

So if we're reading the title another way, "Still Night",  it resonates with a powerful verse.

"Be Still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. 

And then, of course it makes sense to say "silent night, holy night", because isn't God seen in the stillness as much as the noise? 

I'm challenging myself to think of Christmas by practicing what I've so forgotten in the hubbub of life. 


Comments