Gratitude

I'm grateful for views like this.

"The quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness."

We’ve been in Rwanda for six weeks. It’s been a time of growth; of learning new things as individuals, and as a team. It’s been a challenging climb; sometimes it’s been tricky and there have been big decisions to make. Sometimes, I lie under my mosquito net at night and continue to wonder what I’m achieving here. Sometimes it feels like it would be easier to be somewhere else.

After six weeks, I’ve begun to take my surroundings for granted. Those views that seemed beautiful before are now marred by rainstorms; the food that was so interesting to begin with now tastes repetitive in the mouth; the relationships that were quickly established are being challenged through arguments and difference of opinion. In the mundane regularities of life in this community called home, it’s easy to forget the bigger picture and focus on the things that aren’t as satisfactory as they were before. 

Gratitude is a habit that’s difficult to get into. And over the past week I’ve felt myself complain instead of giving thanks. It’s easy to do; to slip into old habits as things around become familiar; more regular; less interesting. 

It doesn’t matter where in the world you’re situated or how exciting or beautiful your surroundings are. We humans are bored easily; we tire of living more quickly than other mammals do; we’re always on the lookout for the next big thing. And when it doesn’t come? We grumble and we complain. 

Now there’s a gratitude wall in our house; a big piece of paper stuck up in our living room. It’s acting as a reminder to me, as much as everyone else, that comfortable complaining isn’t what we’re here to do. When we decided to individually embark upon adventure, it was to achieve big things and to discover new experiences. To increase faith and trust that God is working in each activity or action we do. 

Gratitude, the quality of being thankful, is a very small act which can bring transformation. Waking up and reminding yourself of the importance of life; appreciating the cup of tea that’s in your hand; relishing the comforting words of others when they text or call. Doing life in a way that sees the little things as important. Because even though we’re only one individual in a world of many, little actions can make a big difference.

So let’s be thankful. Let’s do gratitude. 

As the rain bounces off our tin roof, and seeps its way onto my bedroom floor, I’m appreciating the security of a building that we can hide in when it pours. I’m grateful for the community sitting around this house who will help me when I’m feeling ill or in need of rest. I’m indebted to God for providing this unique opportunity that’s taught me so much, so far. And I’m utterly thankful for the next four weeks that are ahead so that I can keep appreciating Rwanda, and keep practising the art of gratitude. 


Those things are being written on the wall. 

Comments

Post a Comment