4

"We enjoy food not just because of the taste, but because of the companionship and welcome it expresses." - Tim Chester. 

It's the final stretch of my challenge, but today I haven't been hungry, tired or wanting to exclaim about pointless things that have happened. I've been bored.

I've still laughed a lot, enjoyed listening to others' conversations, and found pleasure in the beautiful heat and sunshine that London does so well sometimes. But I haven't been satisfied.

The above quote is from a book I'm currently reading called "A Meal with Jesus". I've read snippets of it before but now I've actually got time to read cover to cover. One of the first things it manages to encapsulate is the importance of the food/community relationship. Food is best enjoyed with others and sharing food together is really special. A few weeks ago I got to have a meal with some of my closest friends. We're normally in different places, so it was such a blessing to sit and eat and share life together for an evening. As community. And not just food, but conversation, as we poked fun at one another and told (often pointless) stories.

And this is what I've missed most today. Not just eating foods I enjoy but also sharing conversation and contributing to community; something you simply can't do when you haven't got food to share or a voice to speak with.

Thursday's silent charade: The Lion King. An old classic. Unfortunately not guessed by my friend & work colleague: "Is it the Angry Hat?"

Thursday's favourite piece of post: A lovely letter from a school friend which genuinely brightened up my day.

Thursday's nearly disastrous moment: Managing to burn half of my lentil chilli. Happily the other half wasn't affected.

Thursday's reflective moment: Feeling annoyed about having the same food for dinner again, before remembering that in two days time I get to choose whatever I like. When I travelled to Calcutta, rice was the only option available, each day, every day.


Comments