Proverb

I like words.

 We all know this because my blog posts are all an exploration of some sort or another of the meaning behind words. Meanings are significant, language is interesting, the daily words we use are of great importance. This year while interning I've discovered that I say "whenever" when(ever) it should be "when" and that I use superlatives abundantly when I'm nervous. Not to mention the fact that I use more words than your average Jo. I also dislike puns.

And at this point I emphasise how much I like words and not phrases.

Over the past few weeks I've been having a lot of conversations about proverbial phrases (yes, I've finally found out what they're actually called). And it turns out I'm below average on my knowledge and understanding:

"You're a sight for sore eyes!" - apparently a compliment. Who knew?

"Too many cooks spoil the broth" BUT "Many hands make light work" - how can you tell when you're crossing the line?

"Oil and Water do not mix" - surely this is just an obvious statement?

And recently I decided to adapt one to make my own:

"Put all your eggs in one basket and get a cake at the end of it." - I'm confident it'll catch on.

I remember being little and adoring the book of Proverbs. Unlike most of the Old Testament, which I found long and difficult to digest, these pithy phrases were really exciting. And so I turned to Proverbs recently in my confusion, and found some amazing gems in there. Especially this one, which I think we should use more often:

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."
Proverbs 31:8-9.

It's a really exciting time for the world as the G8 meet. And my tenuous link for the week is my hope that this proverb is something that happens in the coming days. In the middle of Northern Irish countryside, these leaders have the potential to change the world. I'm praying for words (and phrases) to become significant in bringing about change and equality as those with most importance make decisions that affect our world. 

"Proverb: a short pithy saying in general use, stating a general truth or piece of advice."

(For more proverbial phrase fun have a look here.)



Comments