Wander

I escaped to the countryside earlier this week. I attempted to run away to a wood in the middle of nowhere, but the infamous storm of 2013 got in my way and scuppered my plans.

Yet countryside I wanted, and countryside I found - peace, quiet and general satisfaction of a world not governed by hustle, bustle and public transport delays. And there are some things that are pretty excellent about rural living.

Wandering is an adventure as there's a genuine chance you might get lost, which makes everything so much more exciting. Unlike London where tube stops are all too plentiful, you can find yourself in the middle of nowhere with no idea which direction to go. In this scenario, stopping a friendly local person is a delightful encounter which leaves you feeling enlightened, not only with the answer to your original question, but armed with words of advice and wisdom about the surrounding area.

In London I hate cold and autumn is frustrating because it signifies dark and wet and delays and danger. In villages and woods, when leaves are multicoloured and plentiful, it becomes a photography paradise and that never fails to please. And forgetting the time is the best thing you can do for relaxation. To roam and explore; there's something very freeing in the unknown, especially when you don't have anything specific to return to.

I adored the villages, abundant with local greengrocers, teashops, artisan bakeries and plenty of old people who all seemed bemused by a 'youngster' with a camera. And of course my urban living was ridiculously obvious as I marvelled at rivers and leaves as if I'd never seen them before.

I've eaten my weight in delicious food, I've taken photos of too many trees, and most of all, I've allowed myself the freedom that I never get in my regular living. A time without schedules or tasks to complete. A spontaneous booking at a beautiful B&B with some friendly countryfolk who looked after me incredibly well, and a glorious ramble leading to nowhere in particular.

We spend far too much time striving to achieve. And far too little time appreciating what's about. And that's why we should wander more.

"Wander: walk or move in a leisurely or aimless way"



Comments