Enamour


Verb: be filled with love for.


If I didn't enjoy big cities so much, I would live in the Lake District.


Bold claim? Perhaps. But after a weekend frolicking (rambling) in the countryside with a couple of very great friends, I'm utterly sold on its hilly, lakey goodness. For an avid photo taker, it was an utter dream because I didn't even have to try hard to make the photos look good. The countryside is the dream model, and always strikes the perfect pose.

In the middle of climbing there was conversation. The best kind of chat that comes when you know people so well you can get straight to the good stuff, rather than the polite but awkward introductory small talk. Yes, there's something about beautiful views and weather - and climbing a big hill - that evokes a sense of freedom to be open and honest.

Yes there was freedom, from the claustrophobia that comes with living in a city full of tall buildings, commuters and underground tunnels. And don't get me wrong, I do utterly adore London, but there comes a point where I yearn for unspoilt creation - a place without other people treading on my toes, where I can tell stories very loudly without a whole office to overhear (sorry colleagues, I do that a lot).

And here's the thing that you might have gathered from this poetic post - I LOVE the countryside. I am in love with hills and skies and utterly massive lakes. Little country lanes and landscapes that have been painted with tonal colours better than any piece of artwork. Natural beauty at its best.

I just don't want the countryside to disappear. I always want to be able to escape to it.

But.

Here's the problem - the temperature of Earth is changing. That means our landscape is changing too. And we can't predict how, but it could mean that my beloved countryside is spoilt by floods. In other places it's affecting people's jobs, food production and animal livelihood.

I'm in love with the Lakes (and I think they love me too) and I don't want climate change to affect them. I don't want climate change to destroy people's lives; or impact the way that future humans have to live. I want action to be taken so that climate change stops happening.

What about you?

#showthelove


Comments