Muraho

Just a regular view.


Kinyarwanda greeting; hello.


You might be mistaken in thinking that this photo is from Belfast. Amazingly, Rwanda is probably as green as Ireland, and I can assure you that it’s definitely going to rain as much while we’re here. You see, rainy season in Rwanda means downpours at 3am that last for 20 minutes but are so heavy, you feel as if the roof might collapse. The rain is less regular at the minute - and I’ve been informed that it’s because of the changing climate - but when it rains, it really rains.

So the weather hasn’t greeted us well, but happily, the people have been a lot more welcoming. I’m so grateful for supportive Rwandan team members who have patiently endured my attempts at speaking Kinyarwanda (believe me, it’s not going well), have translated the names of favourite animals (Intare; Lion, Inka; cow) and have generally been my hands and feet, helping me to find my way around in this new and foreign place.

In the middle of this period of greeting one another, God has said hello too. I’ve been so encouraged by this Bible verse that’s appeared over and over again this past while:

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and very courageous. Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

We’re saying Muraho to Rwamagana - the name of the area of Rwanda we’ll be staying in. And as we do, our team feel a little like Joshua did when these words were spoken. We’re stepping into the shoes of the great teams before us and it’s a bit scary. There are big expectations. But the start of this adventure is an opportunity to trust in God; to be strong and courageous at what lies ahead.

Muraho, Rwamagana. We’re ready.

Comments