Irrespective

...not taking (something) into account; regardless of.

I speak a lot. During my secondary school years I was told off for talking; nothing else, just my continuous chatter.

Sometimes, my chat uses specific words in abundance and recently it's become apparent that "irrespective" is one I like to use when I tell stories. It's funny though because I haven't even noticed. But now that I've looked into it, irrespective is an interesting word to think about. 

I wonder what it would be like to live irrespectively - not irresponsibly, or irritatingly (although I'm certain at times these are natural positions for all of us) - but irrespectively.

Imagine if you paid for that friend's coffee, irrespective of the money they owed you?

What would happen if we gave money to the homeless person, irrespective of the negative consequences?

Should we keep fighting for justice, irrespective of the millions of people who don't even bother?

How about believing in God, irrespective of those who deny His existence?

These are challenging questions. The answer might not be hopeful or transformative, but it could be. Often we consider how bad it is to not take something into account. But sometimes doing something regardless is a bit different. It could lead to change. 

The question on my mind this evening is the justice thing, because I wonder what would happen if I stopped fighting. If tomorrow I decided to stop bothering to end poverty, because there were too many people that didn't care. Because my voice is little and it doesn't really matter. Because there's so much pain and suffering in the world and the problem just seems TOO big. 

Valid points. 

But I choose to fight irrespective of these things. It doesn't mean they're irrelevant. They are very relevant. However, on the other side are stories of people who have nothing. Who have no hope, money or voice. And irrespective of the often negativity, I believe that justice is worth fighting for. 

Irrespective of how hard it is. Irrespective of the time it could take.

...now that I've looked into it, irrespective is a very important word. 

Comments