Fasting

This week, it would appear that I've given into peer pressure.

Anyone who knows me well is also aware that stubbornness is one of my more frustrating personality traits. Yes, I am that person who refuses to do something because someone else made a big deal. It's also notoriously difficult to change my mind. It's not always one of my finest qualities - once upon a time my stubbornness meant I didn't speak to anyone for 2 days.

I'd like to say those days are behind me, but I'm not actually sure if that's true. In any case, this week, I have changed my mind and decided to join in with a particular action making itself known on Twitter.

Search for #fastingfortheclimate and you'll find the most extraordinary story. The United Nations are currently convening in Warsaw for a climate change convention (it's been given the catchy abbreviation of COP 19). However, after the devastation in the Philippines, the Filipino negotiator has vowed to fast for the two week conference to raise awareness of the reality of climate change and its impact on our planet, now.

Lots of people have decided to join in. And I sort of didn't really want to. In fact, I initially decided to fast each day this week between 9am - 5pm because lots of my (amazing) work colleagues weren't eating, and it was getting a bit awkward to eat in the office. Definitely not the right motivation.

Yet their action, and reading more of this story in depth has made me realise that it's a way to get involved. A means of standing up and saying that I agree with Yeb SaƱo's words:

“I speak for the countless people who will no longer be able to speak for themselves after perishing from the storm. I speak also for those who have been orphaned by the storm. I speak for the people racing for time to save survivors and alleviate the suffering of the people affected. We can take drastic action now to ensure we prevent a future where super typhoons become a way of life..." 

This week I'll be a little bit peckish. But I'll be trying to think and pray about what's going on across our globe. And this is nothing to do with me - I've been challenged by some seriously passionate work friends to get out of my comfort zone. Now by actively writing and tweeting, I want to stand in solidarity and I want drastic action to happen. 

And it just reminds me of these powerful words: 

"Your kingdom come, your will be done, on Earth as in Heaven." 


Comments