Possibility

2014 - A new year. A new diary. A new 365 days of possibilities.

I'm becoming increasingly fond of New Year. Especially this time round, where full-time employment means that there's no three month summer break to allow for fresh beginnings. After a delightful couple of weeks in Belfast it's time to get back to daily life with a few new thoughts in my head.

The word of 2014 will be possibility. It's my new favourite because its origins are incredibly simple:

"From Old French possibilite, from late Latin possibilitas, from possibilis meaning 'able to be done'."  

Our culture is so quick to say that something is impossible. That something cannot be done. We are naturally negative, placing limitations on our achievements and goals. We base our decisions on our material wealth and current state. We naturally limit what we can do because we teach ourselves that we aren't good enough or talented enough or rich enough.

I'm very good at thinking in this way.

But my diary is blank and open. And this year I want to explore the things I am able to do. Which are a lot broader than eating only Fairtrade chocolate and training for a half-marathon. Yes, those may be my 'resolutions' but each day, week and month brings possibilities to think, act and enjoy ourselves more.

Is it possible to not just enjoy life, but to expand its enjoyment?
Is it possible to push ourselves further and increase our capacity for learning?
Is it possible to pray big prayers and trust that they could be answered?

We can do more than we think we are capable of. This year I want to explore.

2014. The year of possibility.

Possibility: unspecified qualities of a promising nature; potential.

Comments