Peace

Great British cloudy skies.

Recently the weather has been impressively indecisive. I've mostly spent this week being a little confused about whether it's time to crack out the flip-flops or if a raincoat is my essential handbag item.

Last night I found myself on a rooftop in the pouring rain. London does unusual entertainment well, but we found ourselves waiting to watch The Lego Movie under umbrellas, covered in pink ponchos and desperately hoping that our jeans wouldn't get too wet sitting on damp deck chairs. Not exactly what we'd planned, but happily, it all worked out in the end.

I highly recommend the "cinema in the sky" experience. Partly because it provides some great photos for Instagram, but also (for those not so obsessed with social media) it's so exciting to sit outdoors looking up at a big screen and seeing nothing around you but the sky. I especially adore the sky, so it was pretty special to watch clouds and aeroplanes pass while enthusiastically mouthing the lyrics to Everything is Awesome. 

But especially so last night. Pathetic fallacy seems a particularly appropriate term to reference here as work and personal experiences, like the weather, have been pretty crazy and a little unexpected recently. As some may be aware, I regularly self diagnose as a control-freak, one of my best and worst qualities as it means I'm excellent at organising absolutely anything but not so great in a crisis. In crazy and unexpected, there's always the worry that I'll panic.

Yet through this storm, I've found peace.

I'm reminded a little of when Jesus calmed a storm on a boat. The disciples began to fear, but He diffuses the situation instantaneously. Calm seas and an interesting statement:

"Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?"

And sometimes I feel like God is saying this to me. Most of the time I do the panicking disciple act really well; this storm round I'm as surprised as anyone that I feel peaceful. But grateful and thankful for the feeling inside me that I believe God has given.

And all of this means that this week the best thing I can do is remember my raincoat when I'm wearing my flip-flops.

Peace: "freedom from disturbance; tranquility."



Comments