Caring


 

I haven't written for a bit.

I'd love to say it's because I've had lots of important things to do, or because summer got in the way of the internet (and wow, has London had sunshine). But the real truth of the matter is this:

I don't know how to write about the brokenness of our world.

I'm a writer by profession, and yes, I have been writing a lot in my charity job about the world. But about stories of hope. What one international charity is doing to fix the big complexities of poverty. Those stories are easy to tell.

But I'm guilty of burying my head in the sand when it comes to the difficult stories. Because a massive part of me doesn't want to address the brokenness. Maybe it's that selfish part of me that doesn't want to be unhappy, or perhaps the Christian inside me that doesn't like that my prayers don't seem to be heard, let alone answered.

I've been overwhelmed by the news each day. I've been scanning it, then closing it before I get too frustrated. I don't understand why it has to be like this. And in my questioning I turn to my God, who is for me, God of the universe and especially, the God of this world. And I ask: Why is it like this? Why aren't you fixing everything?

My God, from past experience, is a God who provides and guides. I believe it's God who's placed us in another new house which meets all of our needs.

 But why did He answer that prayer instead of the millions of people who are crying out for peace? For justice? For change?

In this mixed state of confusion and purposeful ignorance, I've been reading what others say too. And I found this wonderful article from a colleague of mine:

Watching the world fall apart

It doesn't answer my questions, but it reminds me that I'm called to care. It doesn't pretend that everything will be alright, but it reminds me to pray. Like when I was chatting to a friend on the phone yesterday and I said these words that I probably didn't really believe myself: "God is big enough to hear all of our prayers, even if we don't understand how He deals with them."

Caring in brokenness is important. Like the article above states:

"Because when we stop trying, when we lose hope, when we give up on the world – that’s when things really fall apart."

So let's start standing tall and display passion for those who can't do it on their own. To do what we can and get on our knees. To sacrifice some of our comfort to read the news and get involved with it.

Caring:"The practice of looking after those unable to care for themselves."





 

Comments