Learning


Photo: Unsplash.com


Isn't it funny how your school years deceive you into thinking that the things that matter most are those which also help you to pass exams? Fortunately, I'm discovering that this isn't actually true. This is probably for the best because I know for certain I can no longer label the parts of a flower, nor can I recount the persecution dates of early Christian martyrs.

However, as an adult I am still learning, and this year in particular, I feel like I've been taught a lot.

15 things I learned in 2015


1. Quitting your job is not the end of the world
Probably one of the biggest risks I've ever taken was to leave the world of employment to volunteer overseas. Many people thought it was a bad idea; others thought it was an interesting step. I'm grateful that I was able to, and thankful that it worked out incredibly well. 

2. Some African countries are greener than Ireland
It also rains a lot more near the equator than you might imagine. Do take an umbrella with you if you find yourself in the middle of a rainy season. 

3. Handwritten notes matter
I will never stop being grateful for old work colleagues and friends who wrote me a series of notes to take with me to Rwanda. Those words were read, reread and appreciated long after they were written. 

4. Leadership means a whole lot of humble pie
Flaws are so much more evident when a whole group of people are looking at you for wisdom. I've never apologised so much, or felt so inadequate; but I've never grown so much, either.

5. You will probably never find cheaper avocados than in Rwanda
Ten pence for a perfectly ripe, large, delicious green fruit. Rwandans are definitely winning when it comes to 2015's superfood. 

6. Train journeys are underrated
Another highlight of my year was travelling around parts of Europe, especially the journey from Copenhagen to Stockholm with music in my ears and trees out of my window. Long train trips are definitely worth trying at least once. 

7. Don't try to plan ahead too much
Interesting things could come your way: a month's freelancing work; two weeks of free camping; a birthday party in a beautiful restaurant in London. Living a day at a time can seem scary but it's definitely worth embracing, if you have the opportunity.

8. Old people are a lot of fun
Living with my grandparents over the summer has become a great story to tell others, but taught me a lot about the genuine love that family members have; and how nice is is to spend quality time with them. I've also never watched so many episodes of Don't Tell the Bride.

9. Once you've lived in London, you compare everywhere else to it.
So many times this year I've been confused by the lack of people in the place I've found myself; desired the accessibility that can only be gained from the tube; or craved an overpriced cafe to drink a Flat White in. London is a bit like an attention-seeking ex-boyfriend who's always trying to win you back. 

10. Taking photographs is nice, but not that important
Obsessed as I am with my camera, there have been moments that I've been glad not to have photographed (or Instagrammed). Long overdue catchups with close friends; walks in the middle of nowhere. Appreciating a moment for what it is - rather than trying to capture it for later - can sometimes be more satisfying. 

11.  We humans have so much capacity for interaction
Before moving to Surrey, I assumed that I knew enough lovely people and didn't feel I would be able to know any more. Yet my few months in my new small town have uncovered lots more lovely people, who I'm excited to get to know better. 

12. In the middle of our increasingly broken world, there is hope
So many times this year, I've wondered why it's all going wrong. And then I've heard about something small that's really great. In the middle of the recent floods, communities have joined together in solidarity more than never before. In the midst of terror attacks, humans have opened up their homes. I'm grateful for human hope this year. 

13. Running can be fun
This year I've jogged in city parks, African streets, by seashores, in muddy fields, country lanes, on piers, along rivers; even in the dark. No world records have been broken, but 2015 was the year I discovered that running doesn't have to be at a super fast pace. In fact, it's possibly more satisfying when you don't set yourself a target. 

14. Coffee and chat can solve a lot
Meeting friends to talk about life has always been a highlight. But in this transient period where so many others have been having their own doubts about their jobs, lives, relationships and so much more, it's been such a joy to discuss, dream and support others in the same way that they've supported me. I'm grateful for the openness and honesty over so many cups of coffee, and the people who have been willing to share life with me.

15. You can't even imagine what lies ahead
I'm still trying to get my head around everything that's happened this year and how I've found myself in a completely new place, with completely new people. It's been an incredible year of discovery and growth. I'm excited for what's ahead, but I can't even begin to guess what it could be.


Learning: (noun) "knowledge acquired through study, experience, or being taught."


Photo Credit: unsplash.com 

Comments